Energy & Housing Services Department Memorandum
To: HEAP Vendors (Oil and Kerosene)
From: Troy Fullmer, Manager of HEAP
Date: October 3, 2022
Subjects: Kerosene Supply Issue Guidance
In follow-up to the memorandum that was sent out to HEAP Vendors on September 30, 2022, this communication is to provide guidance regarding flexibilities HEAP Vendors may exercise when they are unable to deliver kerosene due to fuel supply shortages.
If HEAP Vendors are unable to deliver kerosene as the approved HEAP benefit fuel type due to lack of inventory, Vendors may deliver #2 heating oil with an additive or a winter-blended fuel. The anti-gelling additive will be an allowable HEAP benefit expense. This substitution is only permitted as an emergency measure and until further notice. HEAP Vendors must follow these steps when they are out of kerosene and need to deliver to a HEAP client with kerosene as the approved benefit:
1. Notify MaineHousing that you are out of kerosene via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Inform the HEAP client that you are out of kerosene; you are able to deliver #2 heating oil with an additive or a winter blend; that the additive is intended to prevent gelling; and that there is no guarantee that the fuel won’t gel during extremely cold weather.
3. Ask the client if they would like to proceed placing an order for #2 heating oil with additive or winter-blended fuel. If they say yes, document the conversation and consent and proceed with delivering the fuel.
4. Let the client know that this is a temporary measure and that once you have kerosene, they will be required to have kerosene delivered as their approved HEAP benefit fuel type in the future.
5. Once the Vendor has kerosene available to deliver, inform MaineHousing via email at email@example.com.
6. Vendors do not need to seek approval to substitute #2 heating oil with additive or winter-blended fuel for each delivery. Once MaineHousing is notified by a Vendor of being out of kerosene, the substitution is allowable using the above steps through such time as the Vendor secures kerosene and is able to resume delivery of kerosene.
Thank you for working to support HEAP clients though this fuel shortage situation and please contact MaineHousing’s Energy and Housing Services Department through email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (207) 624-5743 with any related questions or concerns. Thank you.